- Chombo supports time-accurate, conservative discretizations of complex PDE's by using a cross-discipline approach: scalable algorithms, mathematical simplifications and careful software design.
- If you're new to Block Structured Adaptive Mesh Refinement (AMR), see the Overview of Block Structured AMR.
- Complex geometries are handled using an Embedded Boundary approach, as well as Mapped Multiblock Grids
- Chombo's approach to solving PDE's uses algorithms that have good (memory and wall clock) scaling, so that the same code can run on a desktop or the largest supercomputers in the world.
Chombo is provided as a fully open-source distribution, released under a modified BSD license. We have a Chombo Download Page if you want to see details but here is the gist.
The current Chombo release is distributed via the svn version control system. Before you can download Chombo, you must register. Registration is free and does not carry an encumbrance on your part. We just need to keep a record of access. Registration gets you an account via which you can access the Chombo svn repository via svn. If you have already previously registered for Chombo download, you may skip directly to the download page.
The Design Docs for Chombo can be downloaded independently of the source and without registration.
- The current version of the Chombo Design Doc is a fairly comprehensive overview of the layers and classes in Chombo.
- Here is design document that focuses on the Chombo embedded boundary infrastructure
- Here is the Doxygen Chombo3.1 reference manual for the current Chombo 3.1 release.
- Here is a current version of the Chombo development reference manual . This changes with the repository.
- There are many areas of [Research enabled by Chombo, here are just a few:
- Shallow Water simulations of the SF Bay and Delta
- Compressible Navier Stokes with embedded boundaries.
- Modeling the dynamics of Land Ice Sheets
- Chombo is built from the ground up to provide scaling on massively parallel platforms
- Many scientific papers have used Chombo as the software infrastructure