Policies and Procedures
IT Business Applications does not have a regularly scheduled maintenance window. Planned maintenance work will be scheduled from time to time to perform routine maintenance and system upgrades. A minimum of two days notice will be given for all scheduled maintenance. A notification will be sent to iss-app-notify announcing the outage along with a reminder on the day of the outage. A follow up notification will also be sent to iss-app-notify once the outage is completed. Outages will not be scheduled on payroll processing or financial close days.
This policy does not apply to emergency situations, security mandated maintenance or outages related to non-IT infrastructure.
LDAP, Windows file and print, Web, eRoom, Webspace (Xythos) and other services
Systems and Services Affected:
- Central email services (email gateways) - unless a decision is made to move to Google's mail gateways
- Central LDAP directory service
- Central Webspace service (Xythos)
- Windows file and print services
- Central Web service
- Central Web search engine (Google Appliance)
- Central eRoom service
- UNIX distributed printing service (CUPS)
- Webspace Service: Saturday 11:30PM through Sunday 1:00AM.
- eRoom will be shut down for incremental backups each weeknight from midnight until 3:00AM and every second weekend for full backups from midnight Saturday to 8:00AM Sunday morning.
- Preventive maintenance will be performed on the other services listed above between 7:00AM - 12:00PM (noon) the second and fourth Sundays of each month.
- Other scheduled maintenance may be performed 7:00AM - 12:00PM (noon) on any Sunday with prior notification.
All LBLnet morning maintenance activities will be completed before 7:30am (PST) and afternoon maintenance activities will be started after 5:00pm, depending on the circumstances. Maintenance is performed based on need and is not periodic. Maintenance activities are performed to upgrade and/or replace network hardware as the result of planned and unplanned situations.
Systems administrators and LBNL staff are notified of planned outages via the email list firstname.lastname@example.org
See the net-notify list homepage for information on joining the email@example.com list.
For outages affecting major Lab services, LBLnet will provide at least one week's notice; for outages affecting individual buildings or subnets at least 24 hours' notice will be provided. Emergency maintenance is performed as needed, and the maximum notification time is based on urgency. Obviously, some failures preclude the LBLnet Services Group from providing preliminary notification.