Types of accounts
The IT division provides several types of Accounts:
- Enterprise Directory Accounts (for all staff and affiliates). Automatically created as part of the HR on-boarding process.
- Windows Active Directory (which can also be used by Mac users) to access workstations and shared files on the network. Automatically created for staff (and one type of affiliate) - contractors, others upon request.
- Google Apps Accounts which provide access to Google mail, calendar, sites, and drive/docs. Automatically created for staff (and one type of affiliate) - contractors, others upon request.
- SCS cluster Account. Created upon request
- Unix server account. Created upon request.
Account request information is here
Accounts are terminated when you leave the Lab. IT can provide limited access after you leave for two reasons: change of status (e.g. you are a staff member converting to affiliate), or because you need an extra week to clean up your files. This requires supervisor approval (or HR confirmation if due to a status change)
If you are going to be on extended vacation or medical leave, your accounts are not disabled.
Additional Termination information is here.
Access to someone else's account
Access to accounts can not be provided without appropriate approval.
Additional information on Access to an account is here.
A note about passwords
- Enterprise Directory passwords expire annually.
- Active Directory passwords also expire every 6 months, but there is a grace period if logging in from a Windows machine. If you access network resources from a different platform, you will not know when the password expires and will not have a grace period.