Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Library
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata
TIP: Also see our "Databases" main page for information about the most popular indexes.
AAPG Datapages: A resource that allows users to search the 16 publications of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG)
- AccessMedicine: From McGraw-Hill Medical. It is a comprehensive online medical resource that provides a complete spectrum of knowledge from the best minds in medicine.
ACI Digital Library: Journals, conference papers, and symposium publications from the American Concrete Institute. (American Concrete Institute Digital Library) [1905-]
- ACM Digital Library (Association of Computing Machinery) provides full-text access to journals, magazines, transactions, conference proceedings and newsletters published by the ACM.
ACSESS Digital Library: ACSESS was created by and is composed of the American Society of Agronomy, the Crop Science Society of America, and the Soil Science Society of America.
ADS/Astrophysics Data System (NASA): Covers four databases including Astronomy and Astrophysics, Instrumentation, Physics and Geophysics, and Astrophysics Preprints.
- Agricola (AGRICultural OnLine Access) serves as the bibliographic catalog for the National Agricultural Library. No full text.
Agricultural & Environmental Science Database: Find citations for journals, conference proceedings, books, reports, and government publications in the agricultural and environmental sciences. [1960 - present].
AGRIS: International, multilingual database of papers, data, and statistics on agricultural research and technology produced by the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). (International System for Agricultural Science and Technology)
AIAA Electronic Library: Journal articles and meeting papers from the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA). [1963 - present]
- ArticlesFirst contains bibliographic citations describing items listed on the table of contents pages of more than 13,000 journals in science, technology, medicine, social science, business, the humanities, and popular culture.
- arXiv provides full text access to preprints for physics, mathematics, nonlinear sciences, computer science and quantitative biology.
ASABE Technical Library: Standards, journal articles, and conference papers from the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE). [2001 - present]
ASCE Library: Indexes ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) journals back to 1995 and conference proceedings from 2005 on.
- ASFA: Aquatic Sciences and Fisheries Abstracts, provides abstracts in the areas of aquatic science, aquatic organisms, fisheries and oceanography.
- ASHRAE Standards: ( American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers): 228 ASHRAE current guidelines, current standards, essential standards, other language standards, and translations.
- ASME Digital Standards: ( American Society Of Mechanical Engineers): The leading international developer of codes and standards associated with mechanical engineering.
- ASTM Standards, formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials, is a vast collection of industry-leading standards and technical engineering information that covers a broad range of engineering disciplines, including aerospace, biomedical, chemical, civil, environmental, geological, health and safety, industrial, materials science, mechanical, nuclear, petroleum, soil science, and solar engineering.
- AtoZ Maps Online is a subscription-based database of proprietary, royalty-free world, continent, country, and state maps. Included in the 4,000+ maps are: political maps, physical maps, outline maps, population maps, precipitation maps, climate maps, and other thematic maps. New maps are added to the collection every month.
- BioCyc is a comprehensive resource for data on genes, metabolites, and metabolic pathways for more than 7,600 microbes and other species. BioCyc provides access to data in over 9,000 individual databases, and also provides a comprehensive set of informatics tools for data query, visualization and analysis.
- bioRxiv: A free online archive and distribution service for unpublished preprints in the life sciences, operated by Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
- BioOne Abstracts and Indexes covers biological, ecological and environmental sciences.
- BIOSIS Previews indexes over 6,000 journals, books, and conference proceedings are indexed on a wide variety of biological and biomedical topics. An electronic version to the print counterparts, Biological Abstracts and Biological Abstracts/RRM.
- Cambridge Structural Database records bibliographic, chemical and crystallographic information for organic molecules and metal-organic compounds whose 3D structures have been determined using X-ray and/or neutron diffraction.
- CERN Document Server: Find articles, reports and multimedia content in high-energy physics
- ChemRriv™Beta: ChemRxiv, a new chemistry preprint server for the global chemistry community, is now available in a fully functioning Beta version for use and feedback by researchers. The Beta launch has been undertaken with initial strategic input from the American Chemical Society (ACS), Royal Society of Chemistry, German Chemical Society and other not-for profit organizations, as well as other scientific publishers and preprint services. The free-of-charge service is managed on behalf of the chemical science community by ACS and is powered by Figshare, an online digital repository for academic research. Harnessing Figshare’s new preprint capabilities, ChemRxiv will facilitate the rapid and open dissemination of important scientific findings.
ChemSpider: Free chemical structure database providing fast text and structure search access to over 43 million structures from hundreds of data sources
- CINDAS the Center for Information and Numerical Data Analysis and Synthesis (CINDAS) is a comprehensive and systematic research program on the properties and behavior of materials.
- CiteSeerx is a scientific literature digital library and search engine that focuses primarily on the literature in computer and information science.
- Cold Spring Harbor Protocols is an interdisciplinary journal providing a definitive source of research methods in cell, developmental and molecular biology, genetics, bioinformatics, protein science, computational biology, immunology, neuroscience and imaging.
Compendex: Indexes journals, conferences, technical reports and other materials related to the engineering and technical literature. (Ei Compendex Plus) [1884 - present]
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics/CRCnetBASE the online edition of the 91st Edition of the CRC handbook is now structure searchable.
Crop Protection Compendium: Compiles and presents scientific information on all aspects of global crop protection by integrating text, images, maps, and databases in an encyclopedic portal.
DBLP Computer Science Bibliography: Citations for journal articles and conference papers in computer science.
- Dissertations and Thesis indexes graduate dissertations from over 1,000 North American, and selected European, graduate schools and universities. Dissertations published since 1980, and master's theses since 1988, include brief abstracts written by the authors.
- DOE Green Energy is a Department of Energy electronic repository of research on renewable energy resources and energy conservation, including bibliographic citations, technical reports and patent information. Subject areas include but are not limited to solar, wind, bioenergy, hydroelectric, geothermal, tidal and wave power, and energy storage.
EarthArXiv: Provides free, open access, open source archives for the Earth Sciences. It offers a preprint home for all Earth science domains and sub-domains as well as computational, data, and instrumentation research relevant to the Earth sciences.
- Earthquake Engineering Abstracts, provides abstracts on seismic phenomena, geology and civil infrastructure
Earthquake Engineering Online Archive (NISEE): An index of significant, publicly-funded research and development literature, photographs, data, and software in earthquake, structural, and geotechnical engineering.
ECOTOX Database: Locate single chemical toxicity data for aquatic life, terrestrial plants and wildlife [1972 - present]
- e-EROS: Find information on reagents and catalysts for organic syntheses. (Encyclopedia of Reagents for Organic Synthesis)
eLS : Citable Reviews in the Life Sciences: Features over 5,000 commissioned, peer-reviewed, citable articles, written by leaders in the life sciences and is updated by approximately 400 articles per year, with new articles publishing on a monthly basis."
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management, indexes environmental biotechnology, engineering and pollution.
- eScholarship provides open access to LBNL Reports and UC Scholarship.
- Expanded Academic ASAP: Multiple topics.
- Faculty of 1000 Biology reviews the most interesting papers published in the biological sciences, based on the recommendations of a faculty of well over 1000 selected leading researchers.
- Faculty of 1000 Medicine is an evaluation and awareness service for medicine. Based on the recommendations of a selected faculty of nearly 2500 international researchers and clinicians. This database is designed to systematically highlight and review what are considered the most pertinent papers in all fields of medicine.
- GeoRef indexes over 3,500 scholarly journals, books, maps, US and Canadian dissertations, conference proceedings, reports and government documents published worldwide on geology and other topics within the geosciences.
GeoScienceWorld: Provides full-text access to core journals from a variety of geosciences publishers.
- Google Dataset Search (Beta): Dataset Search lets you find datasets wherever they’re hosted, whether it’s a publisher's site, a digital library, or an author's personal web page.
- Google Scholar: a freely accessible web search engine that indexes the full text or metadata of scholarly and popular literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines.
- govinfo: The Government Publishing Office (GPO) provides free public access to official publications from all three branches of the Federal Government. n addition to providing an advanced, metadata-powered search experience, govinfo also includes a content management system and a standards-compliant preservation repository.
GreenFILE: Indexes scholarly, government, and general-interest titles about human impact on the environment.
Greenwire: Provides daily coverage of environmental and energy politics and policy. Included in the suite of services Environment and Energy Daily, a resource on federal information designed for policy makers; Land Letter which focuses on natural resource policy issues. Among the key topics covered in Greenwire are: agriculture, climate change, energy policy, health/environment, public lands and water resources.
GTM Squared: News and analysis on clean energy technologies. Note:Create an account using your berkeley.edu email address for full access to the site.
Handbook of Fuel Cells: Covers the fundamentals, principles, and current state-of-the-art in fuel cells.
Handbook of Mathematical Functions with Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables: Provides summaries of mathematical functions that arise in physical and engineering problems.
Handbook of Zoology: Provides full text, comprehensive overviews on animal systematics and morphology as well as extensive coverage of physiology, behaviour, ecology and applied aspects of zoological research. Updated Frequently. [1923--]
Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSDB): Peer-reviewed toxicology data for thousands of chemicals. Covers human exposure, industrial hygiene, emergency procedures, environmental fate, regulatory requirements, nanomaterials, and related areas.
History of Science, Technology, and Medicine.: Index of interdisciplinary global publications covering research in the history of science, medicine and technology. [1976 - present]
- ICE Virtual Library: Journals and proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers. [1836-]
IEEE Xplore provides access to IEEE journals, transactions, letters, magazines and conference proceedings, IET journals and conference proceedings, IEEE Standards and IEEE educational courses.
- ICSD (Inorganic Crystal Structure Database) contains an extensive list of known inorganic crystal structures published since 1913 with atomic coordinates. Includes structural data of pure elements, minerals and intermetallic compounds, structural descriptors, bibliographic data and synthesis conditions. (You do not need a log-in and password. The center column should have a message that says "Welcome to ICSD Web version. You are now logged in to[sic] ICSD." If this is not the case, please contact the library.)
- INSPEC (Engineering Village): Engineering and Materials Science (1898 - present). To access, do not use the Elsevier login option on the left. Use the Institutional Login in the right hand column. Do a search for "Lawrence Berkeley" which should bring up "Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory". Click that title and you will be taken to Engineering Village.
IsisCB Explore: A research tool for the history of science, whose core dataset comes from bibliographical citations in the Isis Bibliography of the History of Science.
- JCR (Journal Citation Reports): measures research influence and impact at the journal and category levels, and shows the relationship between citing and cited journals.
Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology: This encyclopedia presents a wide scope of articles on chemical substances, industrial processes and unit operations in chemical engineering, environmental and health issues concerning chemical technology, as well as fundamentals related to Chemistry.
Library, Information Science and Technology Abstracts (LISTA): Index of hundreds of publications related to library and information science, online information retrieval, bibliometrics, cataloging and more. [1960s - present]
Lyell Collection; Journals and book series from the Geological Society of London [1811-]
Materials Science & Engineering Database (MSED): Includes the renowned METADEX, Copper and Polymer Library databases and provides full-text titles from around the world, including scholarly journals, trade and industry journals, magazines, technical reports, conference proceedings and government publications." [1965 -]
- MathSciNet indexes articles and reviews of mathematical research literature published in the Mathematical Reviews Database.
MRS Online Proceedings Library: Peer-reviewed papers presented at Materials Research Society (MRS) Meetings.
- NIST/TRC Web Thermo Tables This web application provides access to a collection of critically evaluated thermodynamic property data for pure compounds with a primary focus on organics.
NTRL (National Technical Reports Library): Citations and some full text for technical reports from the Departments of Defense, Energy, Transportation, Agriculture, Health and Human Services, and other government agencies.
NTRS: NASA Technical Report Server: Index to technical reports, conference papers, journal articles, and other publications sponsored by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and its predecessor, the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA). [1920- ]
- Oceanic Abstracts covers oceanography, marine and brackish-water environments.
OMMBID: Online Metabolic and Molecular Bases of Inherited Disease: Covers the genes and genetic mechanisms underlying inherited human disease. Note: Limited simultaneous users. Please try again later if refused.
OnePetro: Online library of technical literature for the oil and gas exploration and production industry.
OSA Publishing: OSA Publishing's Digital Library offers the largest collection of peer-reviewed optics and photonics content. (Optical Society of America)
OSTI.gov: Gateway for research funded by the Department of Energy (DOE) and its predecessors.
Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Climate Science: The ORE of Climate Science is a dynamic, scholarly, and up-to-date reference work. It covers physical sciences, social sciences, and policy approaches to the study of climate.
- PapersFirst indexes papers presented at conferences, symposia, meetings, expositions, workshops, and congresses worldwide in a variety of disciplines.
- PASCAL/FRANCIS : PASCAL covers the fields of science, technology, medicine (1984-2015) and FRANCIS covers 15 disciplines in the social sciences and humanities (1972-2015). This site offers free access to more than 14 million bibliographic references of articles, conference papers and conference proceedings produced by the French INIST-CNRS ( National Center for Scientific Research).
- Phase Equilibria Diagrams Online, includes all diagrams and commentaries previously published in hard-copy (Vol. 14 and earlier) or electronic-only (post-Vol. 14) format, including the new content for Version 4.2 ( Volume 20 )..
- Proceedings covers every published congress, symposium, conference, exposition, workshop and meeting received by The British Library Document Supply Centre, 1993 - present..
Project Euclid: a not-for-profit online publishing service that provides access to journals, monographs, and conference proceedings in the fields of theoretical and applied mathematics and statistics. LBNL has access to most titles in this database.
Project MUSE: Several hundred digitized scholarly journals and books in the humanities and social sciences. [1993 - present]
Proteome: Protein information for species including human, mouse, rat, yeast, worm, and plant, including links to relevant scientific literature. Human entries include associated disease information.
PubAg: Full-text access to scientific journal articles by USDA researchers, plus indexing of peer-reviewed articles relevant to the agricultural sciences
PubChem provides information on the biological activities of small molecules and is organized as three linked databases within the NCBI's Entrez information retrieval system.
PubMed indexes citations from MEDLINE, PreMEDLINE, and other journals in the field of medicine and life sciences, and links to NCBI's integrated molecular biology databases including nucleotide sequences, protein sequences, 3-D protein structure data, population study data sets, and assemblies of complete genomes in an integrated system.
PubMed Central: PubMed Central® (PMC) is a free full-text archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine (NIH/NLM).
Quakeline: Indexes journal articles, conference papers, technical reports, and other materials about earthquakes, earthquake engineering, natural hazard mitigation, and related topics. [1987- ]
- Reaxys is recommended for obtaining checked physico-chemical data and preparation/reaction methods for pure compounds, and especially for its near-comprehensive coverage of pre-1960 organic literature. Contains literature references in Beilstein and Gmelin going back to the 18th century. Reaxys is updated monthly. (SciFinder and Reaxys are complementary resources, and although both are ultimately based on the primary literature, they are quite different in the ways they scan and index the literature, the ways they register compounds and index reactions, and in the time periods they cover.)
Russian Academy of Sciences Bibliographies: Citations for articles, books, manuscripts, and dissertations published primarily in Russia, the republics of the former Soviet Union, and countries in Eastern Europe. (RussianAcadSci - RAS Online) [1980 - present]
SAE Mobilus: Formerly SAE Digital Library. Full text of technical papers published since 1906 and full text of journal papers from the SAE International Journals from 2011 to present.
- Science of Synthesis : The Houben-Weyl Methods of Molecular Transformations. Over 48 volumes of synthetic chemical structure reference works.
- SciFinder Scholar (Use this link to register for SciFinder) excels with its more thorough coverage of literature and patents from 1967 forward, its comprehensive registration of all types of chemical compounds, polymers, and mixtures, and coverage of organic reactions after 1985. CAS also scans far more source journals than either Beilstein or Gmelin (over 9,000), indexes new material more rapidly, and is updated daily.
- SciTech Connect DOE Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI) is a free public access to full-text documents and bibliographic citations of Department of Energy research report literature. The Information Bridge contains documents and citations in physics, chemistry, materials, biology, environmental sciences, energy technologies, engineering, computer and information science, renewable energy, and other topics of interest related to DOE's mission.
- SciVal: SciVal is a set of integrated modules that enables your institution to make evidence-based strategic decisions. (You will need to register to access the database.)
SCOAP3: Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access Publishing in Particle Physics
- Scopus: Scopus is the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature.
- SpectraBase: With hundreds of thousands of free spectra available, Bio-Rad's SpectraBase is an excellent resource for those wanting to look up NMR, IR, Raman, UV-Vis, and mass spectra by chemical name, synonym, CAS Registry Number, or InChIKey. Users can zoom in on the spectra and upload and overlay their own spectrum for comparison.
SPIE Digital Library: Provides access to full-text papers from SPIE proceedings and journals. [1990 - present]
- Sustainability on JSTOR: is a collection of academic and policy research on environmental stresses and their impact on society. This collection will contain a minimum of 145 journals and 5,000 research reports by its completion in 2018.
- TOXLINE covers toxicology, chemicals, pharmaceuticals and antidotes.
Transportation Research Record: Peer-reviewed findings in policy, planning, finance, operations, construction, design, maintenance, and safety for all transportation modes: highways, freight, aviation, transit, pedestrians, bicyclists, railroads, maritime, pipelines. [1996-present]
TRID Database: The most comprehensive bibliographic resource on transportation research. (TRIS Online)
USGS Publications Warehouse: Citations and some full text for publications of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), including the USGS numbered series. [1880 - present]
- Water Intelligence Online is a fully searchable, indexed archive of water and environmentally related information.
- Web of Science indexes most science journals (1900 - present).
- Wildlife and Ecology Studies Worldwide has citations for literature on wild mammals. 1935 and earlier - present
- Wiley Spectra Lab: NMR collection :A unique analytical platform that helps chemists identify unknown compounds from spectroscopic data, supporting GC-MS, FT-IR, Raman, ATR-IR, UV-Vis, and C-NMR, H-NMR, and X-NMR spectroscopies. (Trial through April 2019.)
- WorldCat lets you search the collections of libraries in your community and thousands more around the world.
Zentralblatt MATH (zbMATH): Citations for serials and journal articles in pure and applied mathematics. [1868 - present]
If you can not find what you are looking for, contact the LBNL Library at Library@lbl.gov or 510-486-5621.