- Anger Management for Everyone: Seven Proven Ways to Control Anger and Live a Happier Life by Raymond Chip Tafrate and Howard Kassinove
Children's Toilet Training:
- My Mother, Your Mother: Embracing "Slow Medicine" - the Compassionate Approach to Caring for Your Aging Loved Ones by Dennis McCullough
Excerpt from the book:
"In the landscape of our older family members' lives, there will often come an event which forces a changed awareness of an elder's limits. In time, and with the clarity of hindsight, families may come to regard one little decision or unobtrusive happenstance as a kind of watershed in the life of a loved one and the whole family. No matter how carefully an elder may have been attending to her regimen, slippage comes. 'It wasn't like him to do that.' 'These trips are more challenging than they used to be.' 'If only we'd realized how hot it was.'"
- The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine
- What to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff
- The Girlfriends' Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood by Vicki Iovine
Starting a Family:
- Do Babies Matter? Gender and Family in the Ivory Tower by Mary Ann Mason, Nicholas H. Wolfinger, Marc Goulden
Do Babies Matter? is the first comprehensive examination of the relationship between family formation and the academic careers of men and women. The book begins with graduate students and postdoctoral fellows, moves on to early and mid-career years, and ends with retirement. Individual chapters examine graduate school, how recent Ph.D. recipients get into the academic game, the tenure process, and life after tenure. The authors explore the family sacrifices women often have to make to get ahead in academia and consider how gender and family interact to affect promotion to full professor, salaries, and retirement. Concrete strategies are suggested for transforming the university into a family-friendly environment at every career stage.
The books listed have been recommended by LBNL employees. Have a book recommendation? Please email [email protected].