Publications.lbl.gov is a public repository of Berkeley Lab Scientific Publications and is the replacement for the existing reports coordination process. It is populated with the existing reports coordination data including historical documents spanning the entire history of the laboratory. It includes a new submission process for reports which allows users to provide additional useful metadata such as the group, project, funding source, and keywords associated with the paper. It also includes a new set of policies and procedures for submission of publications.
- The Publications System is viewable by the public; an LBNL LDAP is no longer needed to search for and download reports.
- Report submitters can now enter publications into the system by DOI and PMID import, as well as RIS/Endnote XML file import.
- Report numbers are now assigned immediately after an LBNL report is submitted to the system. To view the report number, go to the report's record in the system, and click the "LBL" tab.
- Submitters are now responsible for indicating that a report needs to undergo Patent Review. See instructions below under "How do I submit?" section.
For Users - Searching & Browsing
On the main screen of publications.lbl.gov, you'll find the search box on the left, and a browse option on the right.
Search is recommended for most queries.However, to get a list of publications for a scientific division, we recommend using browse.
- To search by author, search by an author's last name only.
- You can search within PDFs of reports by using the "Full Text" search field.
- To limit your results by date, use the "Completed Date" interactive filter which appears on the left after you do a search (or, beneath the interactive filter, click "Show" next to "Specify Date Range" to manually enter a date range),
- Use quotation marks to search for a phrase (bound phrase searching). For example, if you know the title of a report you're searching for, put the title in quotation marks when you do a title search to limit your results.
- When searching by submitter, enter the submitter's LBNL email address as your search term.
- You can create more complex queries by clicking the + sign and adding additional fields to search.
For Users - Submitting:
What should I submit?
- Scientific Publications, typically those items published in journals or proceedings.
- Public Reports - for divisions that publish reports that are not otherwise published in journals, these can also be submitted.
What shouldn't I submit?
- Manuals, Policies, Newsletters, Press Releases, Web Sites, Internal Drafts, Unpublished Works, Reports to Funders, Annual Reports, etc (these items have historically been assigned publication numbers, but we no longer track these as scientific publications. They may still be appropriate for Archiving and of course should be managed as records, as appropriate, by the responsible organization.
How do I submit?
Submit your report by logging into the Publications System using your LBNL LDAP id and password; to log in, click the link on the right side of the page which reads "To Submit an LBNL Publication, Log In with your Berkeley Lab Identity". Then, select “Submit or Manage Publications” from the navigation menu at the right.
Next, select “Submit a New Publication to LBL”. On the following page, carefully review the disclaimer before selecting “I Confirm”.Then, select one of the three options for adding a publication to the system: DOI/PMID import, RIS /EndNote XML file import, or manual citation entry. (If you select either of the import options, you will be prompted to provide the DOI/PMID or RIS/EndNote XML file on this page).
After completing this step, you will be asked to provide additional details about the publication (and you will be able to edit imported citation information, if necessary). Click "Next" at the bottom of each page when you are finished entering information.
After entering publication details, you will arrive at a page where you can upload a PDF of the publication. If the publication has not yet been reviewed by Tech Transfer (Patents), you should indicate that on this page by your response to the question "Has this paper already been published?"; select "publication' and should be cleared by Tech Transfer" as your response.
If you want to embargo the publication, respond to the question "Has this paper already been published?" with the answer "No, this is a placeholder for a future publication." After selecting that option, two questions will appear below: "Is this publication restricted?" and "Is any part of this submission embargoed?". To place an embargo, select "Yes" for the question about the publication being restricted and set the details of the embargo with the next question.
After completing this page, the next page will enable you to review information about your submission. Click "Ingest" to submit the publication to the system. An LBNL report number is assigned to LBNL publications after the ingest. On the page which appears after you select "Ingest", click the "LBL" tab to see a display which includes the publication's LBNL report number.
What changes have been made to the submission process?
Submitters can now enter publications into the system by DOI and PMID import, as well as RIS/Endnote XML file import.
Report numbers are now assigned immediately after an LBNL report is submitted to the system.
Submitters are now responsible for indicating that a report needs to undergo Patent Review. See instructions above under "How do I submit?" section.
This FAQ is in the process of being expanded upon. For help or questions regarding the Publications System, contact the Scientific Publications Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or x2633.