Backing up your data is important and allows you to retrieve your data if need be. You are responsible for managing and backing up the data on your own devices.
The Workstation Support Group recommends using Google due to its unlimited storage however you may also use iCloud or iTunes.
Use one of the following three back up methods below:
Method 1: Backup Using Google:
This is the preferred method because storage is unlimited.
- Tap on the App Store
- Search for and download Google Drive App
- After download, tap the Google Drive App to open it
- At the Welcome Screen, tap
- At the Google Account Sign In, enter only your lab email address and click Sign In (do not enter a password)
- You are redirected to log in with your LDAP
- Tap for automatic backups of your photos and videos to your Google Drive. Leave the selection as "Over Wi-Fi only".
- Tap to keep your uploads at their best resolution (ignore the quota warning, we have unlimited storage)
- Tap to continue set up
- Tap OK to allow Drive to access your photos
- Your photos and videos will now automatically backup to Google Drive*
*NOTE: To have photos and videos appear in a separate folder in your Drive called "Google Drive Photos" follow these steps:
- Tap on the menu button in the top left corner
- Tap Settings
- Tap Photos
- Slide the button for Google Photos Folder to the "on" position
Method 2: Backup Using iCloud:
There is a 5GB limit of storage with iCloud. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for other storage options if you go over the 5GB limit. Do not purchase additional storage from Apple. For instructions on how to manage your iCloud storage click here. Be sure to visit Apple for more detail on how to use iCloud for backups.
- Tap the Settings icon on your mobile device
- Scroll down and tap on iCloud
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- You will be prompted to allow iCloud to use the location of your phone.
- This enables the "Find My iPhone" feature and will allow you to locate your phone on a map if misplaced or lost.
Method 3: Backup Using iTunes:
- Please use Apple’s instructions. If during this process you discover that your data exceeds the free limit of 5GB, do not purchase extra storage. Please contact the mobile support team to determine other backup options.