UCB LBNL Identity Management, Cal 1 Card, Calnet ID, etc
LBNL and UCB have in place a system to grant UCB Credentials (Cal 1 ID Cards and Calnet Usernames & Passwords) to LBNL Post docs, and Employees who need to utilize UCB resources. UCB classifies LBNL Post docs, and Employees as "Contingent Workers", and your CalNet ID is good for one year and must be renewed annually. UCB DOES NOT send out expiration notices to contingent workers so it is up to you remember to renew your account every year.
Note: that this project is unrelated to library access. If you had a CalNet ID through the university and transferred to LBNL you will still have all the services you had previously including library access.
LBNL Postdocs and other employees may apply for status as UCB affiliates (by filling out the paperwork mentioned below)
Great, where do I sign up?
After reading this page, download and fill out the appropriate forms at the bottom of the page. You must fill out either the postdoc or employee form PLUS the agreement form. That's two forms!
Precisely what are the steps in this process?
1.Click the appropriate link at the bottom of this FAQ. It will launch an electronically signed form which you will fill out. Once signed it will be routed to the IT Help Desk for processing.
2. Your request will be entered based on Help Desk availability and load. It could take up to 7 days.
3. When your request is processed, you will receive an email indicating your CalNet ID number and expiration date.
4. 24 hours after you receive the email, you should be able to see yourself in the Calnet Directory found here: https://calnet.berkeley.edu/directory/.
You will receive a second email containing a Token to set your Passpharse, and personal CalNet ID name.
5. If it's been 24 hours AND you can see yourself in the Directory, you may go the UCB Cal 1 Card Office and receive a Cal 1 Card. For Cal 1 Card Office Info go here: http://services.housing.berkeley.edu/c1c/static/index.htm. The Cal 1 Card Office can also provide you with a Token to set your Calnet Username and Password, but the LBNL Help Desk will provide initial passwords and resets. If you have any problems, next door to the Cal 1 Card office is the UCB User and Account Services who can assist you.
What will this cost?
UCB charges us $25 each time they print an ID. This will be recharged to the Project ID you provide at signup. If you lose your card and need a new one, you will be recharged again. The charge is subject to modest escalation by UCB. LBNL recovers only the exact fee charged by UCB to us.
Why do it this way instead of letting the UCB Department enter my information?
If you have your application processed through LBNL, you will be eligible for a Cal 1 Card. If your application is processed through a UCB Department as an affiliate, you will not be eligible for a Cal 1 Card. In addition, those processed through LBNL can be easily renewed through the LBNL Help Desk, and any Calnet Password issues can also be managed by the Help Desk. In the future, LBNL entered individuals may be eligible for other specially negotiated services.
Who is my faculty sponsor?
In the case of Postdocs, you must have a faculty sponsor on campus. This person can be a joint appointed LBNL/UCB faculty member. The sponsor need not be your day to day supervisor, just someone with whom you work. You can use the UCB Directory at berkeley.edu to ensure that the person is a current staff member.
If you are applying as an LBNL employee (non-postdoc), you can name either a UCB staff or faculty member, or an LBNL colleague who is already a UCB guest. Everyone must have a sponsor.
Why do you need to know where I work?
Actually, we don't need to know but UCB does. California provides additional funding for UCB for postdocs working in certain kinds of space. We provide this data back to UCB and they use it for that purpose (so it's very important that you give us correct information).
What if I already have, or had a Non-Student CalNet Affiliate ID number from UCB?
You just need to check the box "Transfer of Appointment" on the application and include your Non-Student CalNet ID number.
What if I forgot my Calnet Username/Password?
To reset your username/password, either contact the LBNL Helpdesk, or go in person to the UCB Account Services Desk next to the Cal 1 Card Office.
Is my LBNL LDAP Username/Password the same as my Calnet Username Password?
No, emphatically not!!! In fact, when you signed up, you swore you wouldn't use the same password for both, remember? Keep your two identities separate to minimize the chance of a cyber security problem.
I have my Calnet Username/Password, what can I do with it?
You can use it to login into the UCB wireless network AirBears, and to login to other UCB resouces you have been given access to.
It is also used for Internet access from U.C Village.
Which Form Do I Fill Out?
Use the Postdoc Form only if you meet all three of these criteria:
1. You are not paid by UCB.
2. You have a formal, recognized postdoc position either at LBNL or another institution but you are located at LBNL.
3. You are "sponsored" by a UCB Faculty Member, meaning that the UCB Faculty Member works with you in your postdoc role - that is, you could be called a "UCB Faculty Sponsored Postdoc".
If you are NOT a postdoc, or do not meet all three of the requirements above, fill out the following form: