Changing your Active Directory Password
If you are off site, you will need to be connected using VPN to change your Active Directory password.
- Install the LBL Cisco VPN client available here https://software.lbl.gov.
- You must login with your LDAP (think LBL Gmail, GCal) login name and password.
- Click "IT Supported Downloads" in the menu on the left and then "Cisco VPN" in the list on the right.
- Download and install the client as appropriate for your Operating System.
Full guide on how to install LBL VPN.
- Reset your AD password - this can be done from any computer that is connected to the LBL network
- Go to https://password.lbl.gov in your web browser of choice.
- You want to "Change your Windows Active Directory (AD) Password:" (click the link underneath)
- Follow the directions on the page. Please Note: The Current password field is your "old" password (this is the one you are currently using or a temporary password that was set up for you).
- Once all the Red X's are gone click "Save" to submit the change.
Note: At this point, you have changed your Active Directory password, but your off-site computer does not know about it yet.
- Synchronize your computer with your new password.
- You can continue to log in using your 'old' password.
- Connect to the LBL VPN
- Your computer will automatically connect to the AD controllers and detect that your passwords is out of sync.
- A notification in the system tray (near the clock in the lower right-hand corner).
- Click the notification, and follow the on-screen instructions:
- Lock your computer by pressing the Windows key + L.
- Unlock your computer using your new password.
- The passwords are now synchronized. You can now use your new password to log into your off-site PC.
Resetting an Expired Active Directory Password
If your password has expired, you will need to contact the Help Desk to reset it:
- Chat with Help Desk by clicking on the blue chat icon in the bottom right corner of this screen.
- Send an email to [email protected]
- Call the Help Desk at (510) 486-4357