Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

What is publications management?

This is the broad term we use to refer to the Lab's responsibility to track all its scholarly output. A primary driver for publications management is our need to comply with federally mandated open access requirements. In short: the Lab must make a freely available version of all our work is available to the public, and we must be able to show this for the DOE. The Lab has additional interests in tracking our publications output, such as building up division, group, and individual public profiles, gathering statistics and analytics, and tracking productivity.

Do I have to upload ALL my papers?

For our compliance purposes, you need only supply open access copies for articles published using DOE funding on or after October 1, 2015. Articles written in that period that are not DOE-funded or written while at the lab do not fall under the OA policy.

What types of work should I submit?

The DOE has guidance on this here. In short, any scientific and technical information is appropriate, including journal articles, reports, conference papers, etc are valid. There are some types of items, such as books and book chapters where copyright may not allow you to upload a published or pre-publications full-text manuscript. In that case, you can simply submit or claim without providing the full text.

Should I uploaded drafts of unpublished work? Can I use the system to "hold" work to be published later?

In short: never. First, you will not generally see records of work in the system unless it has already been published. This is because the system finds work by searching databases of published materials. So, typically, the only way unpublished work will find its way into the system is if you or a colleague have done so manually. This is typically the case for reports and conference papers.

Of course, we want to have all the Lab's reports and conference papers in the system as well, we only ask that you not upload work that isn't finished. That includes work that is under legal review, that has an indefinite embargo on publication, or any other reason that would cause you to want to change the document that has been uploaded to the system after the fact. (Published work from a publisher that requires an embargo for open access is fine.)

What if I’m a Joint Appointee? Do I have to do this twice?

Each author in the system is uniquely identified. So your “campus self” will not differ from your “LBL self.” HOWEVER, if you’ve already claimed and/or uploaded publications from a campus login, you must still log into the system from the LBL portal to add Lab-specific information (DOE funding sources) to your publications.

I'm getting reminder emails for publications that I published from another appointment or from before my time at the Lab. How do I make them stop?

First, you do not have to do anything with publications that you did not publish while at the Lab. If you click "Not externally funded" in during the funding-linking step during claiming, you should not receive further notifications about that publication. If you did not click that link during the claiming process, you can get back to that screen by opening the publication record in the Publications Management System and scrolling down to "Links", then clicking the triangle next to "Create Links" and choose "Grants" from the dropdown The "Not externally funded" button should be on that page that opens. Clicking the button essentially marks the pub as not LBL work. The wording of the button is unfortunate, but we're stuck with it for now.

We are working to improve how this works.

Should I claim and upload papers I published before I came to the Lab?

You do not have to claim or upload any work prior to your tenure at the Lab.

We recommend that you do claim such work, however, as that will create a complete CV on the new system. We plan to eventually roll out a Lab-wide website with profiles of all our researchers, and you will probably want that to reflect all of your work. For that purpose, you do not need to provide funding information or deposit the accepted manuscript. You may simply skip those steps.

The publications system has two (or more) separate records for the same publication. How can I fix that?

You can merge the multiple records into a single record. See instructions here

I'm being asked to deposit a paper, but I have been unable to access an appropriate version of the paper to deposit. What should I do?

If you have made an good-faith effort to obtain the full-text version of a publication for open access (including attempting to contact other authors) but have not been successful, contact [email protected] and we will enter a waiver in the system that will cause further notifications about that publication to stop. 

I'm trying to link grants, but the system doesn't show any! How do I see the DOE program offices?

In the grants search filter, be sure to select "linked to" → "Anyone".

How do I link my publications to non-DOE funding?

The Lab is only required by the DOE to link pubs to it own program offices, therefore, we have only populated DOE program offices into the system. You will find other funders in the system that were put there by other campuses (this system is shared with all the UC campuses), but you are under no obligation to do anything with those. If you want to link to a finding source not listed (for example, if you want to generate reports for such funders), we can add it for you (contact [email protected]), but that would be for your own convenience; the Lab doesn't do anything with non-DOE funding data.

Will the system assign LBNL Numbers?

Not presently. If you need an LBNL number, email [email protected] or fill out this form and we will manually generate one for you and mail it back. You will have to edit the record you have just created and paste it in. We will continue to work with the vendor to see if we can make this work better. If so, we will back-annotated LBNL numbers when that functionality becomes available.

How is publishing a report into the current system different from the old?

Under the old system ("reports coordination"), you entered metadata about a report and uploaded the file to the reports coordination system, and received back an LBNL report number. Publication of the report aside from submitting it to repcoor was rather informal: you put it on a server where people could access it. The repcoor system also forwarded the work to OSTI's PAGES system, where people could find and read it.
Under the new system, it's really not very different. You enter metadata about a report and upload the file to the new system. Again, you can "publish" the report on an LBL site however you might normally do, but the system will forward to OSTI's PAGES as well as the UC's eScholarship system.
In short, if you create the record in the new system including the funding info and the report full text itself, you're all set -- you have published for all intents and purposes.
There is very little difference between the old and new system for reports, except for the fact that we do not generate report numbers. For proof of the work having been "published", its presence in the system is adequate. For a unique identifier with which you can refer to the report, there are a few options. Probably the very best is a DOI. Reports uploaded to the new system will not receive DOIs immediately, but when they appear on PAGES, they will have DOIs, and you can use that one for tracking purposes. Similarly, when the work appears in eScholarship, it will receive something called an ARK (Archival Resarch Key). DOIs and ARKs are great because they are unique within and without of the lab, and anyone can go to and find the work immediately. 
An alternative for tracking papers, perhaps best for internal purposes only is to use the record number in the new database system. This is a six digit ID in the url of the object when you are viewing it in the system. This number can also be found when viewing the item on as the "local identifier."

How does entering a report differ from entering a journal article?

Fundamentally, there is not much difference, except for the fact that the system is likely to find your published journal articles on its own, so you can simply claim them. Reports, on the other hand, are unlikely to appear on external databases, so are not "out there" to be found. Because of this, you will have to enter reports manually, by choosing "add a new publication" under the Menu -> Publications tab. You can add a journal article this way, as well, but to do so is probably just creating extra work for yourself, as the journal article will likely be found sooner or later. However, for journals articles that have been published for some time and are not being found by the system for some reasons, you are certainly encouraged to add them manually as you would a report.

Will publications be migrated from the old system?

Publications from the old system have been imported into the new. You do not need to do anything in the new system with papers you have also submitted to the old – if those records were complete, they were sent to OSTI and they are already compliant.

However, you will probably want to claim such work in the new system once the old records have been imported, so that your profile will be complete for the purpose of the on-line public profiles. You don't need to provide the funding and full text link/pdf again. That should be taken care of.

I can't log in!

We have used HR data including your job code to attempt to determine if you are likely to publish or not. Some people who have job codes not typically associated with research may indeed publish. If you believe you should be in the system but are not, we can add you. Simply email [email protected]

I can't find the funding office appropriate for my publication.

In the normal claiming flow, after claiming a pub, you are brought to a screen for linking funds. Unfortunately, that screen only shows a list of potential funding offices that you have already used, plus the six top-level DOE offices. If you need to link to an office not listed, click "grant not shown" and proceed with your deposit. When you are done, go to Menu => Create Links, and choose "grants on the right side. Then modify the filter to search for the office of interest. Be sure to make sure "Linked to" is set to "Anyone" – or else you will have the same issue that it only shows you offices you have previously used. All the DOE offices and many external ones are in the list.

If the office you need is still not in the list, email [email protected] for some help finding it or getting it added.

What about legal review for IP? Does uploading papers to the OA database also submit them for IP review?

No. Legal review (for patent and intellectual property concerns) is a separate pre-publication (ideally pre-submission) process. Upload a draft of your work to before submitting to a journal. A lawyer will contact you.

Can I get someone else to do this for me?

Yes, users that you authorize can act on your behalf. There are two ways to do this. Once way it use use the menu system in the tool to nominate a delegate. (Menu => My Account => Account Settings => Manage Delegates). In addition, certain people have been pre-authorized to act on behalf of anyone in their division or group. You can find out who they are by examining this spreadsheet.

I am an administrator and would like to help a researcher, but I cannot access his/her account.

Ask the user to log in and enable you as a delegate. If you need to help many researchers (a division, for example), email [email protected] and we'll take care of it for you.

How often are new publications harvested?

The system searches a number of databases, such a Web of Science and Scopus, for each member of the Lab's research staff. When it is complete, it starts over and does this continuously. A typical iteration takes between 24 and 48 hours.

I'm the editor of a book chapter, can I enter that as well?

If you are entering the record from scratch (using "add new publication") can proceed normally for a "add a new book" or "add a new chapter". One of the secondary screens in the process will ask your relationship to the work, and you can choose among "author", "contributor to", "editor", or "translator."

Does the system search Google Scholar?

It does not. Google forbids accessing Scholar for this purpose.

I have an ORCID, Thomas-Reuter ResearcherID, or Scopus ID. Can I enter these so the system can better match my work to me?

Please do! Entering these special identifiers to the system (Menu → Publications → Automatic Claiming) allows the system to positively match you to work and automatically claim it. You still have to add the funding info and upload the papers, but at least the claiming step is taken care of.

Note also that if you claim a pub that has one of those IDs associated with it, the system will ask you if you want to associate that ID with you. Check that it's your first and choose yes.

You may find that the system has some ID's that it thinks may be yours that you know not to be yours. By rejecting these, you will make the system search more effective and you will get fewer nag messages about false positives.

For ORCID, you will need to provide your ORCID password to link the account. Hence, a delegate cannot generally do this for you.

I have some old papers to upload, but they do not have the correct acknowledgments or contract number on them. Do I need to modify them to be consistent with current practices before uploading?

No, do not feel as if you need to spend time working on old documents. If you can find the paper and upload it.

I can't tell what papers are open access or not. Because of our lab subscriptions, I don't see any paywalls. How do I know which journals are open-access?

When depositing, you can check the "Sherpa / RoMEO" advice tab. You can also access SHERPA/RoMEO directly. Another useful resource is the Directory of Open Access Journals.

Was this site useful for you? Do you have any feedback or suggestions? Please click here to send your comments about this FAQ to IT.