What is LabTech?
LabTech is a free event created by and for Lab staff (and friends from UCB, SLAC, Stanford, etc) that focuses on computing and technology for science and operations. Modeled after UC San Diego's immensely popular Sharecase event, LabTech features technical tutorials, discussion sessions, networking opportunities, demonstrations, and more. LabTech is a multi-track conference, with tracks aimed at scientists, technologists, and support staff. Whether you're interested in the latest tools for data management for scientists, or the newest features in LBL business systems, LabTech will have something for everyone.
This is our fourth LabTech event and each year we continue to refine and grow our flagship outreach and community event for computing at the Laboratory.
What's Happening This Year?
You spoke and we listened! Based on feedback received from last year's survey, we've made LabTech into two full days. Day 1 will be composed of longer deep-dive sessions. Day 2 will include lightning round sessions in multiple tracks, a lunch+keynote, and a variety of mixer events. Just like last year, our LabTech Promenade Tent will include demos, snacks, vendors, and more.
We're still firming up the schedule, but here's a sample of what you can expect:
The Program (draft)
Click here to view a draft of the program.
Wednesday September 9th (Long Courses)
AM Session: 10:00AM – 12:00PM | PM Session: 1:00PM – 4:00PM
- Intro and Advanced Arduino (2 half day sessions)
- Intro to Agile Workshop (full day)
- Data Analysis and Visualization with MATLAB (half day)
- Parallel and GPU Computing with MATLAB (half day)
- Python for Science (half day)
Thursday September 10th (Short Tracks+Demos+Keynote+The Tent)
6 Parallel Tracks beginning at 10AM and ending with a social hour at 4pm. Keynote at Noon.
- Scientific Computing (HPC)
- Bringing the User into Research and Software Development
- Jupyter, A Platform for Data Science at Scale
- Conquering Big Data with BDAS
- Introduction to SparkR
- Hadoop and Spark on Demand
- Unlimited Google Drive for Data Archive and Scientific Collaboration
- Using and Contributing to Berkeley Common Environment
- Intro to Google Sites
- Distributed (vs centralized) Version Control Systems (DVCS)
- Intro to Electronic Signatures with HelloSign
- HelloSign for Coders
- Using the LBL Video Conferencing Carts (w/Fuze, Hangouts, Skype)
- Intro to Automated Web Based Application Testin Using Selenium
- Diagramming with Lucidchart
- Project Management with Smartsheet
- Intro to Pivot – Funding Finding Tool
- Google Analytics
- 1Password to Rule Them All
- Capriza for Science
- Cyber Security is Easy: Do These Two Things
- Intro to Collab Tools for New Users
- Mac Users Group (MUG) Meeting
- Becoming More Productive with Confluence
- Intro to Evernote
- Social Media @Berkeley Lab
- Gmail Filters
- Advanced Excel: Creating adn Applying Named Ranges
- Advanced Excel: Pivot Tables
- Track TBD
- Library Power Tips
- Intro to Amazon Web Services for Scientists
- Amazon Science Use Cases
- eBuy Tips & Tricks
- Social Media @Berkeley Lab
- Demos in the LT Tent
- Pivot: Funding Finding Tool Demo
- askUS: Demo Common Service Requests
- Smartsheet Tips and Tricks
- Lucidchart Tips and Tricks
- Recent Product Announcements from Apple
- Build Your Own Reports: Intro to Cognos Reporting Tools for Business Systems
- Getting the most our of Google Drive
I can't come for the entire day!
Don't worry - you can come and go as you please - but you still need to register .
I have something to talk about!
Great - when you register for the event you can propose a talk!
I have a particular topic that I'd like to hear!
Excellent - we want to hear from you! There is a section on the registration form to provide us with your topic(s) of interest.
What Happened Last Year?
Over 550 Berkeley Lab staff and affiliates came out for our third LabTech event. Scientists, staff, and visitors all gave the event some of the highest ratings for any event we've ever put on. This year, we're hoping to put together an even more informative and rewarding event.