Personal Web Pages

Researchers often use personal web pages to feature their research and publications.

IT supports and recommends a few ways to accomplish this.

Google Sites:

Visit and click "create site".   Create the content and set the sharing options to be publicly accessible.

Then, brand your URL by opening a ticket at with the name of the subdomain you want ( and the name of the site you want it to point to within google sites.   IT will register the subdomain on your behalf and install the appropriate CNAMES and Google records so that your site appears as (not as


Everyone can have a personal page on commons.   Login at (this site) and click your name in the upper right hand corner.  Choose "Personal Space" and then edit your personal page.   You can then request a short URL if you'd like.. to point to your commons page.

Even if you don't use commons, you can use to point to your site and brand your URL.   Just open a helpdesk ticket with the request for your URL.  URLs must describe the content appropriately and institutionally relevant URLS may be reserved (for example, you may not register for your individual conference - that would be reserved for an institutional function - but is fine...)


You may sometimes see legacy personal pages with a url at or   We no longer use www for personal pages or personal short aliases, but some legacy content has been grandparented in.


  1. The new publication system at will allow you to embed your bibliography in your website on any system, including commons and google sites, that supports RSS feeds.  This system is coming in early CY14.
  2. IT is actively looking at systems designed to create researcher profiles, including public facing pages for all researchers at the institution.  No decision has been made on implementation yet, but this might provide another way to create personal pages going forward.  For an example of what we're interested in, take a look at