Why use the Google Chrome Browser ?
These reasons were provided by James Lee of our Google Team:
- A single input field, the "omnibox" (Firefox could do this too, with some configuration changes. It's far simpler than having both an address bar and a search bar)
- Syncing of Bookmarks, Preferences, Extensions, Themes, etc.
- Better insulation from problems; in many cases, only a single tab will crash, vs. the entire browser.
- Better RAM utilization (in my anecdotal, totally non-scientific experience)
- Extensions can be installed without restarting the browser (maybe Firefox can do this too now?)
- PDF viewer & sandbox
- Many nice Google-created extensions, such as
- Send from Gmail, that makes it easy to set Gmail (even lbl.gov Gmail) as the default mailto: handler
- Google Calendar
- Docs & PDF/Powerpoint Viewer
- Web clipboard
- Screen capture (This may replace Skitch for me. It will be especially cool if/when they enable saving to Gdocs)
- There's even an interactive "New to Google Chrome" guide .