- The point of contact is Pat Montano phone 510-486-7953, Email Pmontano@lbl.gov. She will facilitate the entire process Lab-wide.
- In September, the Lab Staff Committee Chair will do a call out for Division Directors to submit names of Staff Scientists to promote into Sr. Scientists
- The promotion cycle (click here) begins on October 1st. However, promotions for retentions can occur at any time
- Prior to initiating a Sr. Scientist case, the Divisions' Sr. Scientist Ad Hoc Committee members must attend an orientation session conducted by the Lab Staff Committee Chair and Process Facilitator to briefly go over the process, deliverables and expectations. For Key Roles & Responsibilities, click here.
- New templates and presentation guidelines have been created and are listed below
Approval & Review Path
The promotion case requires approval by the Division Staff Committee Chair, Division Director, and Associate Lab Director. The case is then presented to the Lab Staff Committee by the Ad Hoc Committee Chair (or designee). The Lab Staff Committee will vote on the case for the Deputy Lab Director and Lab Director to consider as part of their approval.
Upon approval by the Associate Lab Director, the delegated administrative support will ensure the case is composed of the proper documents, organized into a single PDF, and bookmarked as described on the cover sheet. The delegated administrative support will then submit the case to Pat Montano via email Pmontano@lbl.gov.
The HR Case Facilitator will qualify the case and arrange the review by the Lab Staff Committee and Lab Director’s office. The HR Case Facilitator will then communicate final decision to the Associate Lab Director, Division Director, Ad Hoc Committee members, Lab Staff Committee Division’s Representative, and Sr./HR Division Partner.
Sr. Scientist Promotion Supporting Documentation
The orientation is a brief review of the process and action items for the Ad Hoc Committee.
Promotion Case Documents
A template for the Ad Hoc Committee Chair to solicit documents from the candidate
A template for the candidate to provide 3 references for consideration
A template for the candidate to provide a research description and other supporting documentation
A template for the Ad Hoc Committee to list references and briefly describe their research and affiliation with the candidate
A template for the Division Director’s administrator to complete and send out on behalf of the Division Director
A template that the Ad Hoc Committee completes to formally submit the candidate’s promotion to the Associate Lab Director, Deputy Lab Director, and Lab Director
A template that the Ad Hoc Committee (or admin) completes before the case goes to the Lab Staff Committee
Guidelines for the Ad Hoc Committee to put together a Powerpoint presentation the case to the Lab Staff Committee
This is an at-a-glance comparison chart between the candidate and prior Sr. Scientist promotion cases submitted by the Division