Google Drive Integration
Provided by Smartsheet - copied from their Help Libary for convenience of Berkeley Lab users
Attach Files from Google Drive in Smartsheet
You can attach any file from Google Drive to a row, to a sheet, or to a discussion in Smartsheet.
- In the attachment form, click on the "Attach From" button
- Select Google Drive
- You may get a Google form asking you to grant Smartsheet access so we can present the list of your items in Google Drive from which to choose.
- Select the file you wish to attach.
- Note: Smartsheet sharing does not override your Google Drive sharing. Only people who have been shared the item in Google Drive will be able to open it from the link in Smartsheet.
- If you have attached a Microsoft Office Word, Excel or Powerpoint (.ppt) file in Smartsheet, you have an additional option to Open as Google Doc. This can be handy if you're on a machine that doesn't have Office installed. This feature also works for .txt files but is not yet supported for Powerpoint 2007 (.pptx) documents. Note that this will create a new Google Doc in your Google account (instead of creating a draft like it does when you open as Google Doc from Gmail).
Create New Smartsheets in Google Drive
You can create new Smartsheets from within Google Drive if you have installed the Smartsheet app from the Chrome Webstore.
- Open the Chrome browser, and go to the Smartsheet listing on the Chrome Webstore
- Click on the "Add to Chrome" button in the upper right corner of the Smartsheet listing.
- Note, you must use the Chrome browser to install the Smartsheet app but after the install, you will be able to access the Google Drive-Smartsheet features on any browser.
- There are two options from within Google Drive to create new Smartsheets:
- Create New - click on the Create button in Google Drive, select More, and then select Smartsheet. You can name your sheet and choose whether to start with a project sheet, task list or blank sheet. A link to the new Smartsheet will be created in Google Drive.
- Open With - you can also open any Microsoft Project (.mpp), Microsoft Excel (.xls, .xlsx) or CSV file as a Smartsheet by right clicking on the file in Google Drive, selecting Open With and then selecting Smartsheet. The file will be imported into Smartsheet, creating a new Smartsheet and a link to the Smartsheet created in Google Drive.
- The links to the new Smartsheets in Google Drive will launch the Smartsheet. They can also be moved into any of your Google Drive folders.
- If you just installed Smartsheet Chrome plug-in, you may have to attempt to create a new sheet a couple of times to get past Google window asking you to share information to the app.
- Import - you can quickly create a Smartsheet by importing a Google Spreadsheet from your Google Drive. In Smartsheet, click on the tab with a green plus at the top and select "Import Google Spreadsheet". You may be asked to grant Smartsheet access to your list of Google Docs. You can then select which Google Sheet you wish to import into Smartsheet.
- Export - you can export any Smartsheet to a Google Sheet. On your Smartsheet, click on the Sheet Action button in the upper left (or right click on the sheet name) and select "Export to Google Spreadsheet." The new Google Sheet will appear in your Google Drive.