Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata
Radiological Material Spill Cleanup Categorization
Minor Spill of Radiological Material:
A minor spill is one that is contained within an area posted or delineated for contamination control. Laboratory staff can initiate cleanup prior to contacting the Radiation Protection Group for the area at X7277, (510) 486 – 7277.
Major Spill of Radiological Material
A major spill is one that has made contact with personal clothing/skin or that spreads outside the area posted or delineated for contamination control. Immediately call the Radiation Protection Group at X7277, (510) 486 – 7277.
In the event of a Radiological spill, use S.W.I.M.S.
and think. StopStop working. Stop the spill if it is safe to do so.
- Assess the situation.
- If you feel there may be a medical emergency or danger to life, health, or the environment, call 911 and the Radiation Protection Group at X7277, (510) 486 – 7277.
- Check yourself for any chemical contamination and take appropriate actions.
- Has the spill made contact with personal clothing/skin or spreads outside the area posted for contamination control? If so, immediately call the Radiation Protection Group at X7277, (510) 486 – 7277.
- Can it safely be cleaned? Note, only minor spills of radiological material can be cleaned up by researchers before calling the Radiation Protection Group.
- Alert people nearby.
- Call 911 if there is danger to life, health, or the environment.
- Call the Radiation Protection Group at X7277.
the area Isolate
- Restrict access to those involved in the spill cleanup.
- Keep doors closed if possible.
- Tape or rope off the area.
yourself carefully and completely Monitor
- Monitor hands, face, head, sleeves, front of body, and shoes top and bottom.
- Minimize your movements.
Stay in or near the area until help arrives
- Avoid spreading contamination to other areas.
- Assign a knowledgeable person to assist emergency personnel.
- Notify your supervisor and your safety coordinator and the Radiation Protection Group if you have not already done so.