Records Transfer Procedure

Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Instructions and Form

Records that are transferred to the Archives and Records Office (ARO) are sent to the Federal Records Center in San Bruno for storage. Good business practice and federal regulations require all Berkeley Lab offices to transfer inactive records on a regular basis.

NOTE:  Electronic records cannot be transferred to the Archives and Records Office.  For guidance on managing electronic records at the Laboratory, please go here.


    • Request boxes from [email protected]Instructions on how to put a box together.
    • Do not write anywhere on the boxes except to number them in pencil in the upper right hand corner where it reads, “Agency Box #”, e.g. 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3.
    • All documents must be in file folders that are clearly labeled or have the file title written directly on the folder.
    • Do not include binders or hanging file folders. Remove documents and place them in regular file folders, or pocket folders, and label them with whatever was written on the original hanging folder or binder.
    • Folders need to be in alphabetical order if you are archiving employee related files. If you are archiving files that use a numerical system (like purchase orders) they need to be in numerical order.
    • Download and fill out the first page of the Records Transfer Form. The form will only be accepted as a Word document.  NOTE: If your records contain Personally Identifiable Information (PII), you need to check the "Yes" checkbox.
    • Place a copy of the form in box one.
    • Email your completed form to [email protected]. After ARO reviews the form, you will receive an email with instructions on how to fill out the online Transportation Move Request form.
    • After we have completed processing your records we will send you a copy of the records listing. Please note that records will not be available to request during the shipment process to the Federal Records Center. It may take several days for the FRC to shelve the records and update their system before records can be pulled for requests.
    • Have questions or need more help? Give us a call (ext. 5525) or send us an email [email protected]v