|Proposer||Business Case||Problem/Opportunity Statement||Project Scope||Project Goal|
|Lisa Kegg||Process to qualify multiple vendors for critical raw materials (ie. reagents, chemicals,etc) during the R&D phase before going into a "production" mode. During production, use both vendors periodically.||Down time due to unavailability of a critical raw material causing a delay of projects and a rush to find an appropriate solution. There have been several times we have experienced down time while trying to source and qualify another vendor for a critical reagent/material for a process that has been transferred to a "production" mode or waiting for a material that is on back order.||Increase efficiencies- decrease delays of projects and overall cost savings|
move JGI's call for proposal and proposal review times so that we know what we've agreed to sequence in advance of (1) our budget and capacity planning exercise (Aug) and (2) beginning of FY (Oct).
|As it currently stands we don't finalize reviews until after budget and capacity planning is completed. Our capacity forecasts have always been a "guess" at best because of the timing. We are tasked to generate the forecast before the CSP approvals are made and way in advance of any initiation calls with the PI's to work out the actual scope of work. Additionally the BRC's fiscal year planning efforts are out of sync with our's since their Q1 starts in January. Tootie and I have talked with Jim, then Axel, and now Nigel about moving the CSP call to better align with our planning but so far no changes have been made. Although Nigel seemed to give the idea some thought. The BRCs are allocated up to 30% of our sequencing and the current year CSP (ie, CSP17 proposal work performed in FY17) usually is about 15% of our sequencing. The uncertainty associated with work coming from these two user programs creates a significant gap in our forecast.|
|Kecia Duffy||Process to validate software is working before releasing in RQC. If we can better identify which changes have higher impact and make sure that we test before releasing then we will need to do less rework and have less downtime||Releasing bugs to production pipelines is very costly to. Recently a small change where the taxonomy server was moved caused multiple pipelines to fail, resulting in the delay due to the analyst having to find the issue, enter Jira's, time for the developer to investigate and fix, and then rework to be done. This resulted in about a weeks delay of releasing 100's of projects. This is not an unusual occurance. By developing some additional integration testing we could reduce the delay and rework.||Decrease down time and lost productivity related to bugs in software|