Page tree
Viewable by the world
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

Attendees

Goals

  • Check in and follow up on the past and future action items for developing the JGI knowledge base and the Training project.

Discussion items

TimeItemWhoNotes
15minupdate on Knowledge base project

Kecia M Duffy

Jeff L Froula

 

  • Meeting with Leila today to go look at demo site (bbpress) and add test content
  • Working on governance document - have made progress.
  • https://issues.jgi-psf.org/projects/CIT/issues/CIT-29
  • Working on top ten questions list - still need to meet with Nancy and Chris(after S&O)
  • Q&A stackoverflow or forum type site. Plugins to allow different look and feel.
  • Will follow up with Leila and give her some content to try to work through with.
  • Jeff been working summarising the keywords and tags for the knowledge base.
  • Will bring the tag and keyword outline to Leila for testing initial content.
  • Try to determine the best path forward for adding the initial content.
  • Require some kind of moderation to ensure quality of content.
  • Made a list of some of the JGI datasources. Links with basic metadata. In many cases the knowledge base will be linking out to the other data sources.
  • Questions about overlap between the data sources will be a top priority for the Q&A.
  • Get a contact person for each subject matter and data source. Who is the expert in a given domain, who do I talk to?
  • Trees and data flows for data and topics.
  • Went through tags on RQC wiki.
  • Allow people to create tags, but also curate them.
15minUpdate on Training project 
  • Working on how to document the training information online using the knowledgebase site
  • Post announcements and documents from the train. Will be hosted on the wordpress site under a training page.
  • The look and feel will work great with the requirements for the documents for the training.
  • Found software carpentry and data carpentry workshops. Could arrange for workshops to take place at the JGI.
  • Frameworks for workshops and lessons.
  • Follow up with Kjiersten about software carpentry workshops.
  • Have to pay the expenses and for the workshop. ~$2500 for the workshop itself.
  • Ask participants to pay a nominal fee for the workshop.
  • Have previously brought people in for workshops.
  • Could train as workshop mentors
  • Could possibly stream the software carpentry workshops.
  • Have a diverse range of workshops.
  • Could share software carpentry workshop blog posts internally.
  • Went to post-doc meeting. They want to learn about basic topics.
  • First class could be best practices for NERSC. The NERSC consultants could give these classes.
  • Another lesson could be combination of jupyter and conda.
  • Want to run other tools in jupyter such as bash.
  • Have a standard survey at the end of each survey, to quantify success of the sessions.
  • Second class could be on R ggplot2, there seems to be a demand for this.
  • Everyone might not be able to attend every class, would be nice to have classes for documenting this.
  • Record the lectures as screen casts, have people come in and then work through the problems.
  • Software for recording screen casts

 

  • Example screen casts -
    
    
    

Action items